Summer is a time to relax and refresh but it can be busy too; try adding collagen to these for a quick protein boost.
Collagen has several benefits, including strengthening your bones and joints and improving skin elasticity. Collagen is great for your hair, nails and so much more, so including it in your diet is a no-brainer.
While it is easy to simply mix collagen into your favorite beverage, you can also include it in your favorite recipes for an additional protein boost as well.
When I think of cooking with collagen my mind immediately goes to desserts, beverages, and all things sweet, but that does not have to be the case. These fun, summer recipes are great ways to add collagen into your diet!
Try one recipe, try your own or try them all, but be sure to share your collagen recipes with us on Instagram @red_leaf_official.
Serves: 4-6 people
This mushroom pasta is inspired by our very own Savannah Dysard @wellnessbysav. This meal is great for a night at home or a dinner party.
- 3 Tbs Vegan Butter
- 1 lb of spaghetti or fettuccini pasta
- Garlic olive oil
- A bunch of mushrooms
- 1 TBS gluten flower
- 2 scoops of Red Leaf Collagen
- 1 cup of oat milk
- Salt, pepper, chili flakes to taste
- Fresh Parmesan
- Bring salted pasta water to a boil and cook
- Add 2 tbs of vegan butter to a saucepan
- Once the butter is hot, add mushrooms and garlic oil
- Sauté mushrooms until they are cooked through (around 8 min)
- Remove the mushrooms from the saucepan and set them aside
- Add 1 tsp of vegan butter to the saucepan along with gluten flour and collagen
- Stir until combined and thickened
- Add oat milk and stir until combined
- Add mushrooms back to the saucepan along with salt, pepper, chili flakes and lemon juice to taste
- Add fresh parsley and combine cooked pasta and sauce
- Top with fresh parmesan
Morning Power Bowl
This morning power bowl is a great alternative to a smoothie bowl for people like me who don’t like things too sweet in the morning. This quick and easy recipe is also from the wonderful @wellnessbysav! Stay tuned for more from Savannah’s kitchen over the next few weeks.
- 1/3 cup oats
- Dash of salt
- 1 scoop Red Leaf Collagen Peptides
- 1 mashed banana
- Almond butter
- Oat milk
- Add oats and a dash of salt to one cup of boiling water
- Add Collagen and stir
- Add mashed banana and combine
- Place the oats in a bowl
- Top with your favorite berries, almond butter and oat milk
Strawberry Shortcake Collagen Cupcakes
Yields: 6 cupcakes
These strawberry shortcake collagen cupcakes from Weight Watchers are the perfect summer treat! They are so delicious you would have no idea you are getting nearly 23 grams of protein PER cupcake!
- 1/2 cup Kodiak Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 6 Scoops Red Leaf Collagen
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg (or 2 egg whites)
- 1 Tbsp light butter (made with canola oil)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8-10 sliced strawberries
- 8 Tbsp fat-free whip topping
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk together pancake mix, collagen, sugar substitute, baking powder, water, egg, melted butter, almond extract and vanilla extract until combined
- Scoop batter into muffin tin (lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) fill 3/4 of the way full
- Bake for 12-14 min or until toothpick comes out clean
- Let cupcakes cool, while cooling make the filling
- Whisk together fat-free whip topping and vanilla extract
- Fold in sliced strawberries
- Slice the tops off each cupcake and fill with whip cream mixture
- Place remaining cupcake on top
Yields: 5 cups
Inspired by A Spicy Perspective, this refreshing snack is a great one to serve to guests or simply enjoy outside this summer. With the added protein from collagen, this snack is sure to hold you over until dinner time.
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cored and sliced into quarters
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced into quarters
- 4 scoops of Red Leaf Collagen
- 1.5 peeled garlic cloves
- 1.5 jalapeños stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup cilantro (loosely packed)
- 1.5 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chiles
- Combine fresh tomatoes, onion, collagen, garlic, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, sugar and salt in a food processor.
- Pulse until ingredients are blended
- Add crushed tomatoes, green chilies
- Puree until smooth
- Season to taste
- Chill (*note collagen may cause a small amount of bubbling, this will dissipate as the salsa chills)
- Serve and Enjoy!
Looking for more collagen recipes or ways to include pre-workout into your diet? Be sure to check out these refreshing Red Leaf Cocktails and Mocktails.