Self-care. It’s a phrase that has been thrown around a lot in the fitness community in the past few years. “Take a self-care day”, “Make sure you get some self-care!”, or even “Treat yourself” have been hallmarks of this movement. But sometimes, it’s easy to fall into the self-care fads that are sweeping popular media. Self-care is entirely based around the individual, so make sure your self-care routine is going to help you unwind the best.
Here is our list of top 10 favorite self-care ideas! Feel free to use some of these in your own routine. You can mix and match until you find a routine that is perfect for you!
- Workout: Okay, hear me out here. When you think of a relaxing moment or day, most people don’t automatically think of a workout. But working out gives you endorphins, the happy chemical in your brain. It can also be a great way to de-stress. Take your frustrations out on a punching bag or in a lift and leave them there! Make sure to take some Red Leaf Pre-Workout with you to maximize the benefits of your workout!
- Bubble Bath: I am a big fan of bubble baths. The hot water is great for releasing any tension you’re holding in your muscles. Use Epsom salts for added tension relief or a couple of drops of lavender essential oil for a calm aroma. Use some Red Leaf Recovery Balm afterward if you still feel some tension!
- Face Masks: A detailed skincare routine can be both beneficial to your skin’s health as well as your mental health. Pick up a face mask that has a calming effect on skin and just sit for the 10-15 minutes you have to leave it on. And men, don’t think that skincare is just for the ladies! You deserve to glow too!
- Take a Walk: Walks are a great way to get out in nature and just take some time away from your stressful life. If you live in the countryside, go for a hike and enjoy the quiet. More of a city person? Go for a walk in the city and really look around while you do. Who knows, you might find something amazing you walk by every day and never noticed! Bonus: take your pet with you! They will love the exercise and you will love the company!
- Read a new book: Books are a great way to get stress out of your head! Take 15 minutes and crack open a book you have always wanted to read. Your local library is a great place to look for something new without having to pay for a book you are not quite sure about.
- Meditate: Meditation is a great way to get in touch with yourself and where you are at that time. Take 10 minutes to sit and check-in with yourself. If you’re religious, you can take the time to meditate on scripture. If not, take the time to see if your body is telling you to drink more water or that it needs more sleep and less caffeine! Take some time to check in with yourself!
- Bake: Baking is something that requires a lot of precision. It is a fantastic way to get your mind off the stresses in your life. And when you are done, you will have something tasty to eat too! And baking doesn’t have to be unhealthy! Research some healthier desserts that are also super tasty!
- Catch up with a friend: Community is a great way to take care of yourself. Go grab coffee with a friend, call your workout buddy and go for a run, or go grab lunch with somebody from work. Take some time to enjoy your community!
- Get crafty with it: If you love to craft, engage in some creative time. Write some poetry, start on that novel you have always wanted to write, or take some time to paint. Let your creative juices flow! Being creative is a great way to let your emotions flow out of you and help you deal with stressful situations.
- Go to the salon/barbershop/spa: Sometimes you just need to be pampered. Take yourself out to a salon, spa, or barbershop for some TLC. Get a haircut, get your beard trimmed and oiled, get a massage or a facial. Embrace being taken care of!
Like I said before, self-care is extremely personal. While these are some of my favorite ways to unwind, you might find some of these to be less than relaxing. Keep searching for the routine that works for you and then make sure you practice some self-care and self-love every week!